Feminism is a lens through which to view the world. Critical thinking is key. Now that the movement is officially 'cool' we've seen a shift from the political to a persuasive tactic to get us to consume more products. Some argue that feminism has been co-opted to be a qualifier signaling to the consumer that a product will empower them. In this discussion we'll examine the following questions:
- How has advertising changed over the years from couching women in singular identities (mother, wife, good woman, etc) to selling us empowerment and is that better?
- Are we losing sight of the important political movement in exchange for Instagrammable feminist attire?
- Are we allowing advertisers to give us a false sense of individual empowerment?
- Does marketplace feminism have our best interests at heart?
- Do you own feminist apparel? How does it make you feel?
Join us for a critical-thinking extravaganza on ways marketplace feminism affects us and make our own decisions on what's right for us as a movement! As always there will be wine, snacks, goody bags and a good time!*
The Emotional Labor Union is a monthly feminist discussion group that welcomes anyone who identifies as female. Tickets/membership is required for each event, become a member here or purchase your ticket here.
* This event will be recorded and potentially made into a podcast. All participants will have an opportunity to remain anonymous if they so choose.